Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cheesman Fishing Review

I made it up to cheesman canyon this last weekend.  The water level was running very low making the fishing a little more complicated.  The fish in cheesman are already easily spooked and the slightest movement will scare them off.  Some people don't like fishing at cheesman and find this aspect of it frustrating, for me I enjoy the challenge, it takes a true angler to catch fish here.  In any case the water level was low and the water was crystal clear making the fishing even more challenging.  Luckily I made this a solo trip so it was easier for me to move around and not worry about fishing partners jumping in holes and scaring away fish.

One of my favorite things about fishing at cheesman is the scenery, fish or no fish, the canyon is a gorgeous place be hike around and the deep holes and sight fishing always make it a great time.

Gear - I was fishing with my 4 weight st. crox.  This is my favorite rod for almost all Colorado fishing.  I don't find that I need anything heavier then this in most of the water I fish.  A guide I once fished with told me that fishing with 6x and 7x tippet is so the flyshops can sell more flys.  I have to say I agree with this fellow angler, I don't buy into the 6x and 7x tippet so the fish can't "see" your line.  Using 7x tippet is just asking to lose flies all day long.  When you do hook into a big cheesman rainbow you're just asking to have it broken off.  In any case I use 4x and 5x tippet.  When I am hunting for trout and make the prefect cast with the prefect presentation I don't intend to lose my fish after hooking it.  For flies the fish were  keying in on some PMD's and I was having good action on a #22 mercury midge.

Fish - The fishing was tough, the water was low and clear, but I managed to hook into 4 fish and landed 3 nice rainbows. 1- 14inch rainbow great color. 1 - 19inc rainbow that was pushing 4 pounds, very nice fish.  1- 12 inch rainbow.

Overall the fishing was good.  Great weather, okay stream conditions and as always tons of big fishing insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment